English at Key Stage 3
At Milverton we aim to develop a lifelong enthusiasm for the English language and literature
amongst all our students. Our dedicated specialist teachers follow the Cambridge Lower Secondary English Curriculum ensuring learners develop skills and understanding across the four key
subject areas: reading, writing, speaking and listening.
Throughout the KS3 course students will:
- Become confident communicators both inside and outside the classroom
- Engage with a diverse range of texts from different genres, cultures and time periods.
- Learn to write convincingly for a range of different audiences and purposes
- Expand their vocabulary and apply it effectively within their writing and speech
- Develop a confident command of grammar
- Develop their ability to analyse texts
Progression tests allow us to regularly monitor the progress of every student.
The texts that we study in lessons are carefully chosen to enthuse and challenge students and we
strongly encourage learning that extends beyond the classroom through a wide range of reading
challenges, creative writing competitions and other extra- curricular activities.